Emergency Preparedness & Response
We help our clients prepare for and protect the health and environment of communities after disasters and hazmat releases.
About This Service
Federal agencies rely on CSS’ expertise to prepare for and respond to disasters, catastrophic events, and contaminated sites across the country. We have continuously supported federal emergency and environmental response contracts since 1989.
We help agencies plan for and respond to hazardous material and hazardous waste incidents, including contaminants of concern, chemical warfare agents, pathogens, and other chemical, biological, radioactive, and nuclear (CBRN) hazards.
Our scientists, engineers, and technicians integrate ongoing technical research with field-based experience to advance new methods and technologies.
What we do:
- Planning and delivering training and exercises
- Developing technical guidance documents, sample plans, and SOPs
- Operating and maintaining fixed and mobile analytical laboratories
- Supporting personnel and area decontamination for CBRN incidents
- Calculating Human Health Reference Values (HHRV)
- Biomonitoring for toxin exposure
- Activity-based sampling at hazardous sites
- Overseeing and enhancing removal actions at contaminated sites
- Testing and demonstrating field technologies, procedures, and equipment
- Managing and validating large analytical, field, and research data sets
- Handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous and universal wastes
- Providing on-site technical support and coordination with first responders
- Detecting and identifying chemical and biological agents at large public events
Operation and Maintenance of High Throughput Mobile Laboratory Units
Analytical Support for EPA’s Consequence Management Advisory Division (CMAD) – CSS operates and maintains 10 mobile analytical laboratories under contract with EPA’s Office of Emergency Management.
Underground Transport Restoration Operational Technology Demonstration
CSS provided both technical and logistical support for the Underground Transport Restoration Operational Technology Demonstration.
Red Hill Drinking Water Crisis
CSS supported the U.S. EPA Red Hill response operations in Hawaii in early 2022.
Response at Contaminated Sites and Natural Disasters Nationwide
On-Site Support for EPA’s Office of Land and Emergency Management (OLEM) – CSS provides expert technical guidance and field support at hazardous and contaminated sites, including sites under the Superfund program.
NUCO Oil Pit removal
CSS supported EPA as the field team leader on a removal assessment at an abandoned oil pit site in Oklahoma.
Get in Touch
Contact us to learn more about our Emergency Preparedness & Response service area.